Friday, August 20, 2010

Cold Food?

So we stayed an extra night in Majuro because TC got word of an SWR meter that he could buy (this would help us better troubleshoot our SSB issues).  However, it ended up being outrageously expensive or perhaps it is the right price, but not quite the model we wanted.  So, we've ended up doing projects today.  TC installed the pad-eyes, so we can lash down the removable hatches while underway.  Paul improved his hammocks - had to drill, epoxy, and caulk.  Yay!  I installed the new propane regulator with lots of help from Paul.  I get nervous when put in charge of projects since I'm not the handiest of crew.  I'm learning though.

What else am I learning?  Currently, I am working on my dinghy operating skills.  Now, you have to realize that I am so not coordinated.  In fact, I am pretty darn clutzy.  Jeremy was teasing me and asked if I've ever gone a day without dropping something.  Hmm . . . I don't think that I have.  So, I've been doing very SLOW runs to the dock and back.  I am afraid to get the dinghy going fast enough to plane.  Sigh.  I am improving though.  On my last run, I only needed one attempt to bring the dinghy up to Cherokee without hitting it.  

Speaking of dinghy skills, I am going to go test them now.   TC needs a pick up. He was unable to find propane (on a Saturday) and we don’t want to stay two more days, so he bought a little cheapo butane stove and some butane. I suppose if we ran out, we could always eat cold canned goods.  

Hopefully after this we'll depart.  I've enjoyed Majuro (though wish I had seen more), but am ready to move on and see something new.  I am slightly anxious too as one boat that left from here a week ago to head down to Fiji ended up either getting winds from the wrong direction or no wind, so they ended up heading to Kosrae.  I hope that is not us.  We shall see.  

1 comment:

  1. Wow...dinghy skills, Mrs. Fix-it Lessons, and the age-old debate on possibly eating cold food...I'd say you've had quite the day! LOL Maybe you should look into a solar oven for the boat...? It's economical and won't really let you down unless you are caught in a monsoon for the entire day.
    I'm glad to know your Dinghy skillz are comparable to my Manual Driving skillz! :)

    ReplyDelete