Saturday, August 14, 2010

Majuro Moments


I am not going to lie, when we first sailed into Majuro, I was a little worried.  We had gone through the drama of getting on our mooring without the aid of the motor, and we were getting the sail ties and the sail cover on, when I looked around and realized there was an oil slick on the water. 

Remember that we use salt water for important things like washing dishes and ourselves (we do a final rinse with freshwater).  I didn’t even want to flush our toilets with this salt water.

So when we went ashore, I didn’t quite know what to expect.  I was pleasantly surprised.  It was pretty tidy.  TC and Paul said it seems to be much cleaner now than 10 years ago.  During our shore explorations, I was a bit disappointed to find there was no place to take a shower for people who live on boats.  Oh well, if my biggest complaint is that my shower pressure could be a little higher than my little on-board pump shower, I am pretty darn lucky.

Our view could be better, here is what we see off the bow most of the time:

I later found out that a boat had sunk earlier in the day right near where we are moored and that is why there was oil on the water.  It's mostly gone now.


Behind us there are up to 20 huge fishing boats.  I am not talking about a small Marshallese-owned fishing boat; these boats have helicopters on them.  Hmm . . . how long before the fish run out?

We’ve definitely enjoyed the high-speed internet (compared to Kwaj), I am willing to sit wherever to gain access to internet as evidenced by the photo below.  However, I just discovered today, I can get occasional wifi out at the boat, if I sit on deck. 



We’ve enjoyed the shopping – although most of our time has been spent in hardware stores.  It’s even helped me to not get homesick – look, they have items from Kwaj!  This must have been when Macy’s had it’s “EVERYTHING-MUST-GO, pay us a nickel and we’ll give it you” sale.
Yay for Sterilite, right?  Remember Macy's West had tons of this to sell before they closed and AAFES took over?

Now take a close look at the label that they didn't even bother to remove.  

We’ve enjoyed the restaurants.  However, at one local restaurant, TC decided to try jakaru (the young coconut juice).  He said it is supposed to be really healthy.  So, he ordered that while Jer and I ordered iced tea.  TC tasted it and exclaimed, “Whoa.  That’s kind of shocking, but not in a bad way.  Try it.”  So, Jer tasted it next.  He then immediately took a gulp of his iced tea and started laughing.  I asked, “What?  Why are you laughing?”  He said, “Try it.”  So, I bravely tried it.  I can’t even describe what it tasted like.  I think Jer put it best when he said, “So do they put the juice through a dirty sock when they make this?”  TC tried to drink it, but he couldn’t do it.  That’s how you know it is bad – TC wouldn’t drink it!!
Jer with TC's jakaru (in the blue cup)

We’ve also enjoyed the movie theater.  We went to see The Last Airbender and then TC and I have a date to see Eclipse before we head out.  

All in all, Majuro is treating us pretty well so far.  It's even provided wonderful diesel mechanics who are working on our engine as I type.  :-)

1 comment:

  1. Oh how did you like Eclipse?! (I know that's the first thing I comment on! LOL) I'm hooked, and much like True Blood, I'm not sure why. Haha. :) It must be that I'm a true romantic at heart.
    Wow! So that must have been eerie to be moored where/near a boat sank! Yikes. I mean I know boats sink sometimes, but you don't stop to think they are right below you and only hours old to Davey Jones. :/

    ReplyDelete