Wednesday, December 1, 2010

SSB Post 44 - Power Snorkeling

Thursday, 12/2/2010

Right after I sent the blog post yesterday, Paul pulled in the fishing lines and caught a baby yellowfin. It really was pan-sized.

We all went for a snorkel after we arrived. It's probably the first time we've all been in the water at once. There were a lot of different fish, including a tasty looking dogtooth tuna, but my favorite thing was still the clams. I just can't get over all the different colors - royal purples, deep blues, bright teals, cheerful yellows, and then most of the clams were a mixture of at least two of those colors.

This morning, we got up fairly early and sailed north up the west side of Namu Atoll. After arriving at Bock Pass, we power snorkeled for a couple hours. TC was the gracious driver for a majority of the time, while the rest of us enjoyed the sights of Bock Pass. We saw so many different sea creatures - way more than if we had been diving.

We saw a couple gray reefs pass beneath us, & when they did so, they were a bit frenzied, which freaked us (or at least me) out a little bit. We also saw white tip & black tip sharks. Thinking back, I'd say I saw 7 or 8 total.

I saw a pair of eagle rays swimming in sync deep below me. Unfortunately, I couldn't get anyone else's attention, & then I quickly lost them.

I also saw three turtles. One was fairly small and quite a few feet below me, so it was hard to see. The next turtle was huge, & TC slowed the boat down so that we stayed right next to it, probably only 20 feet away. The last one was pretty close, as well, but it was also small. I was happy that TC was in the water to see this one.

We also swam through a big school of silver trevally - there had to have been at least 100. And there were a couple other big schools of fish - unicornfish and fusilier.

There were also lots of clams! Hard to study them much when you're flying by them. However, there was a huge clam just sitting in the middle of the sand.

We're anchored now & we'll hang out here for a few hours before heading out on a night sail to Kwajalein. I'm excited to spend another night on Bigej - a fitting way to end our trip since that's where we started out the trip.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment