Tuesday, November 30, 2010

SSB Post 43 - Heading North

Wednesday, 12/1/2010

We started the morning with a beautiful sunrise and an early visit from Walden and Kien. Walden was returning our DVDs & bringing more gifts of shells. Kien was bringing us two lobster that he had caught, as well as a big glass ball as a present. They had coffee with Paul, TC, & Geoff. I thought about getting up, but the fact that there were mosquitoes just sitting in wait all along the outside of my mosquito net made me hesitate. Watching TC get out of bed, then being promptly attacked made up my mind. I'd stay in the safety of my net.

Around 8 AM, we picked up anchor and motored away towards Namu Atoll. At first, there was no wind at all, but there was a bit of a swell. Elli & Timo made yummy banana burritos with leftover tortillas and the gift of bananas from Buoj. Poor Elli started to feel seasick while cooking below, so she had to wait a couple hours before being able to eat her breakfast.

Paul, Timo, and Geoff spent the first part of the passage playing cribbage (after the fishing lines were put out, of course).

The wind did pick up some later, which Geoff, always the conscientious sailor noticed first. This allowed us to raise the main, roll out the genoa, & switch off the engine. It's always nice to just sail instead of motor-sailing - so much more peaceful. When the engine is on, I don't even bother to put music on.

We haven't caught any fish yet, though Paul saw a bunch of mahi mahi jumping around & chasing the lures. Okay, as I type this, we just got a fish on . . . and it's an uku. Paul released it since we already have a fridge full of yellowfin. Though we put a dent in it last night when Paul marinated and seared some big steaks for everyone (but me, I had some of TC's).

It's about 4 PM and we're nearing Anil Pass, where we'll anchor for the night. I think everyone is happy that it is early enough that we can get a snorkel in before dark.

Tomorrow, we'll pick up anchor again & head to Bock Pass further north.

No comments:

Post a Comment