Thursday, September 9, 2010

Arno Adventure

Again – plans don’t always mean it is going to happen.  The plan was a few days of sun, surf, and relaxation at Arno.  What happened:

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 – Setting Sail
We left Majuro late afternoon after restocking a few perishables – apples, oranges, cabbage, tomatos, etc.  The sail from Majuro to the pass was much like it was last time, downwind and calm.  I took advantage of it to read and relax on deck.  I love when Cherokee is sailing downwind.
Downwind sailing on Cherokee is the best!
After we got outside of the pass, I volunteered to take the 12 to 4 AM shift.  This shift is normally given to one who has the least skill, I believe.  You’re not really going to be going in and out of a pass or even near land often. 

So I went to bed at 7 PM.  Unfortunately due to my desire to not get seasick and consequent consumption of a lot of water, I had to get up two hours later.   I was so tired/lazy that I used the toilet in my ama.  (Although, if it had been as rough as it was on our attempted trip to Likiep from Kwaj, I would have gone outside.)

TC woke me at midnight for my shift.  During my 4 hours, I did my little workout routine – lunges, calf raises, squats, push ups, sit ups, etc.  This not only keeps me awake, but warm.  I got a little nervous since we sailed close to a point on Arno that sticks out, but thankfully did not run into Arno Atoll during my shift.  Unfortunately a little after 3 AM, the wind shifted and started to send us right back to Majuro.  Our final destination was now directly upwind.  Remember, Cherokee doesn't sail well or fast upwind.  I prefer to go downwind whenever possible.  Kind of like I'd like to run down hills constantly - not going to happen. 

I woke up Paul for his shift, we jibed, and I slipped back into unconsciousness happy that I had gotten seasick.  I think being well-hydrated combined with taking the full dosage of seasickness meds contributed to that.  Plus, I didn’t have a fever or sore throat like last time.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 – Arno Arrival
We arrived into Arno after sunrise.  I was awoken to help get the anchor set.  It took quite a while as our spot to anchor was not the best.  We were ocean-side since this is where we heard a surf spot was located.  After we set the anchor, TC and Paul kayaked into island to say hello and discuss checking in with the mayor. 
TC and Paul paddle in
When they came back, they made kids laugh by playing in the waves on their kayaks.  They also brought rain with them when they returned.  I wanted to take a jumping pic on the boat at Arno for Alex (see here fun photo blog: http://jpwstw.blogspot.com), but it rained the rest of the day.  So instead we read and took naps. 

We went to bed fairly early, but that probably turned out good since TC ended up awake much of the night.  He had to have gotten up at least 6 times, if not more, and for two of those times, he was up for an hour.  The problem was the current was crazy where we were at – it kept shifting, which would tug at the anchor chain and pull out a foot or two.  His fear was that it would end up pulling out all the chain.  To my credit, I awoke each time he got up and returned.  I think I also told him I loved him a couple times.  I really do love him – he could have asked me to get up with him, but he didn’t.  

Thursday, September 9, 2010 – Dragging Departure
We awoke at 8:10 AM because the wind had picked up and the rain had started to dump, which resulted in our anchor starting to drag.  Uh oh.  The engine started up (always great when it does that!), Paul pulled up the anchor, and then we kind of putzed around trying to figure out what to do.  It was super rainy and super windy.  I am pretty sure that TC did not want to spend another night at that anchorage, but we all made the decision to head back to Majuro, but stop at Enamanet for a night or two. 

TC had been telling me how the way back should be downwind and nice and calm.  When we started off, it was not like that at all.  Though there was little wind, there was some serious and steady chop.  My stomach did not like it.  I was given the go ahead to sleep.  Yes! 

When I awoke, it was a different world.  Super calm, glassy seas.  If it had been like that the whole time we were at Arno, we’d have stayed.  Oh well.  We chased a few bird piles, and Paul caught a little baby yellowfin.  I was able to read the rest of the way back. 
The seas are so calm, these guys had pulled up next to each other and were chatting.  I love the one guy on the cell phone.  
I also decided to celebrate the sweet seas, by applying my SPAM tattoo – a gift from Deanna who visited the SPAM museum this summer.  It goes well with my gifts from Jason, which I have not yet consumed, but will do so before the end of the trip.  Actually, I may pass on the SPAM Spread – that reminds me too much of the potted meat product that I tried a while back.  Yuck.  However, the real SPAM will definitely be fried up with some eggs and rice before we head back to Kwaj. 
I have great friends! 
Since it was so calm, TC asked me if I’d be okay with going back to our Majuro anchorage, and heading to Enamanet later in the week.  Why?  Surfing!  If the calm weather holds, that will make surfing on Majuro possible.  So, now we’re back at our anchorage in Majuro. 

One of the coolest things from this trip was that I spotted a water-spout and got a picture of it.  I didn’t have the big lens on, so you can’t see the actual water swirling at the bottom.  If we hadn’t attempted this trip, I probably wouldn’t have gotten to see the water-spout.  There’s always a bright side, right?
Nature is cool!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got to take a little side trip, even IF you didn't get to take a jumping pic! And that spam tattoo is HOTTTT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the waterspout photo! :) That is one very cool upside to an otherwise so so voyage for your sea sickness.
    Enjoy your Spam! :) Any luck you have nori? You could have Spam Musubi...LOL

    ReplyDelete