Thursday, September 30, 2010

SSB Post 11 - Confession: I'm A Water Wimp

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Is it too embarrassing for me to admit that I am somewhat frightened by the ocean? Yep, I am still pretty freaked out by the thought of sharks. This is after I've been here for four years, swam in the ocean quite a bit, and haven't yet had a problem with sharks. Still the thought is always in the back of my mind.

Why bring this up now? Because for the past few days I've been watching TC and Paul surf. I'm pretty content just watching, but at the same time, I know they are having more fun than me. Plus, TC insisted that we bring "my" surfboard on the trip, which I've yet to use . . . ever. (You should know that this is the surfboard that TC talked about selling at one point, but then when I brought it up before we left he said, "No, that's your surfboard, why we would sell it?" Up to that point, I was totally unaware that I was the proud owner of a 7'6" surfboard. I think that he just wants an excuse to keep all the surfboards that he has.)

My other issue with the water here is the amount of coral. Actually, I love the coral when I am snorkeling or diving or paddling over it in a kayak or on the SUP (stand up paddle board). TC and I actually went out paddling (taking turns with the kayak and SUP) for a couple hours this morning, and then we snorkeled around the anchorage. The water was a variety of brilliants blues. The coral here isn't the prettiest, but it allows an ecosystem to develop that contains many beautiful creatures. Highlights from today were clams (my two favorites were a vivid purple and a stunning turquoise), a school of good-sized stickfish (scientific name: unknown to me), a puffer fish, and a couple good-sized angelfish.

So, really I love coral. I just don't like it seeing it so close to me when I am on a surfboard because I know I will inevitably fall and then I am afraid of bleeding profusely and then I am back to my fear of sharks.

However, while enjoying yet another gorgeous sunset this evening, I decided that the next time that Paul and TC go out to surf, I have resolved to tag along. I may not even attempt to catch a wave, but I will paddle around. I shall attempt to conquer my fears! Plus, "my" board will get some use.

By the way, the sunset was spectacular because there was a cloud over part of the sun as it set, so a path of bright blue sky cut through the reds, oranges, pinks, and purples. I got a picture, which I will share in the future.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment