Tuesday, September 28, 2010

SSB Post 9 - Tranquil Tuesday

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

We had a pretty lazy day. TC and I slept in. When we finally got out of bed around 9 AM, TC made a yummy oatmeal concoction (oatmeal, 10-grain mix, a little honey, and some dried fruit). Then we all just laid around and read until 1 in the afternoon.

Part of the reason for our lazy day is that it was a hot one. Hardly any breeze and lots of sun make for a hot boat. I've gotten to the point where I am fairly comfortable sweating profusely. I suppose I should just be happy that I have such a good cooling system.

We had a late lunch of rainbow runner, bean, and cheese burritos with shredded cabbage (our only veggie left besides the onions and potatoes). We're still eating pretty darn well. We still have a few oranges left, as well as garlic and ginger. We have two dozen eggs (we don't refrigerate them, we just flip them over every day). We still have at least 10 blocks of cheese left. Plus we have lots of rice, dried beans, and pasta. I think we'll probably eat more of those things as time goes on. It's been fun learning to cook on the boat and getting creative with what we have. Paul made ramen and put cut up oranges in it once- it sounds strange, but was pretty tasty. I'm even getting better at using our oven (ie: not burning cookies and brownies).

Around 4 PM, TC and I made our way to shore since I wanted to drop off a bunch of newspapers and books to Claire since she had told me that the one thing she wished she had brought was more books. I gave her 8 books that I've already read that I don't think TC or Paul really would like to read or are lower on my list of recommendations. I actually brought a bunch of books from home that I'd already read, but had kept over the past couple years with this trip in mind since I remembered how much people (usually World Teach teachers) had enjoyed receiving them as gifts in the past.

Plus, we wanted to to go ashore to walk around the island a bit more and perhaps find a store where we could buy baking powder as ours is getting near the end. Why baking powder? It's quite useful for making naan, pizza crusts, and biscuits once we run out of eggs and yeast.

We anchored our dinghy since Bouj's little dock has lost some of its wood bumpers leaving big metal bolts sticking out where the wood rotted away and fell off. Then walked to Claire's host parents house. We found them drinking coffee along with her host mother's aunt. I feel really bad right now because I don't think we learned the two women's names. Right away they offered us chairs, as well as coffee and crackers. We ended up sitting there and talking with them for an hour and a half. TC gave Lee (host dad) fishing hooks that he had asked for (we bought some to give out on this trip).

As we were sitting and chatting, the tide continued to rise and TC started spotting some bigger waves. We decided to forgo the walk, so that he and Paul could get to the surf. (We will just have to go in much earlier to give us time to stop and talk.) We asked where Claire was and they said her ears had gotten worse, so she had gone to Majuro to the hospital. Yikes. I hope she is okay. I asked them to give the books and papers to her and let them know that they were more than welcome to read them too. It was fun to see Lee get excited about the paper (I gave them most of the copies of the Marshall Islands Journal I had bought and read while in Majuro.) He was reading it as we left.

TC and Paul went out and had the best surfing session of the trip yet. It was much more consistent than previous days. I enjoyed watching them, as I sat on the deck, cooled by a newly arrived breeze (yay), taking in the colors of another amazing sunset, and listening to country music. TC doesn't mind country, but Paul hates it, so I try to listen to it when I'm alone on the boat. However, I realize I probably should be a bit more active than laying around all day eating, reading, and sleeping, so tomorrow I'll get a SUP session in. I can't wait!

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment