Monday, September 27, 2010

SSB Post 7 - Well That's a First: My Frightening Hour on the Boat (Part 2 of 3)

Continued from previous post . . . (read Part 1 of 3 for this to make sense)

Mr. Bender said, "You got something to drink?" I am thinking, "I bet I know what type of drink he wants," but I went and got some cups to fill with water from our big water jug on deck. I gave Mr. Bender a glass of water and asked if his friend would like water.

He said, "No, he's drunk so he needs a beer. You have beer?"

I said, "No, I am sorry, we don't have any beer."

He said, "What about vodka? You have vodka?"

I said, "No, I am sorry, we don't have any alcohol." At this point, I am getting kind of anxious. I don't know what kind of drunks these guys are - they could be mean drunks, so I try to think of something that I can offer them that they would like. I ended up offering them some chocolate chip cookies. They accepted and seemed to enjoy those.

I tried to direct conversation to things that might make them happy and possibly forget that I was not providing them with any alcohol. I talked about the big boat that's here picking up copra. I talked about how we live in Kwajalein and are just taking a few months jambo around the Marshalls. I made sure to talk about my husband. I told them about the work we did on the boat. I talk about how much I liked Jaluit and the types of Marshallese foods that I got to enjoy on Manit Day.

After what seemed like forever, but was probably only 10 minutes, TC and Paul were climbing back in the dinghy and loading their surfboards. It seemed that they were coming back to the boat. "Yes!" I thought.

You cannot imagine my utter dismay when I saw them head to the other side of the pass to check out the swell.

I guess my visitors had some business to tend to on the big boat from Majuro because after about 15 minutes, they told me they were leaving. I started heading to the back of the boat, at which point Mr. Bender pulls out a cigarette and lights up. Then all three guys spoke in Marshallese, and Mr. Bender (who learned lots of English during the two years of living in Hawaii) said, "These guys want to know if you have boxers that they can have. Like swim shorts."

I thought, "What the heck? I'll give them the nice Quiksilver board shorts Jer left with me [too small for him], so that I can make them happy. After all, the plan is for us to be here a while, no need to start off on the wrong foot."

I went back out and gave them the shorts and expected them to leave. Instead, I was pretty shocked by Mr. Bender saying, "He wants to know if you have bikini," as he tilted head to indicate he was referring to the teenager.

Though slightly alarmed, I figured I'd try to diffuse the situation with a little humor. I responded with a look of confusion and a slight smile, "Why does he need a bikini? Does he want to wear it or is it for his likatu?" (I very well know that Marshallese women do not go swimming in bikinis.)

Mr. Bender asked, "Don't you wear bikini? Don't you have a bikini for him?" and made a hand-gesture that was pretty darn rude and offensive if it was what I thought it was. I figured it couldn't be though.
I was feeling increasingly uncomfortable at this point. With a strained smile I said, "I don't wear bikinis now," and I know I should have just refused the request, but I stupidly asked again, "Why does he want a bikini?"

Bender said, "He wants a bikini so that he can smell it while he blow jobs," as he made the hand gesture for masturbating. And he said it with a smile.

I was appalled, offended, but more than anything I was probably stunned. And my anxiety level was quite high. However, I just said with a straight face - no smile, but no show of anger either - "No, I will not give you a bikini for that."

Now I was more than ready for them to leave and I think they kind of got it. It wasn't more than a minute before they started to untie their dinghy. The younger two guys climbed in, but then I was horrified to see that only the two of them were leaving. I experienced further alarm when they filled up a red cup from their dinghy with what appeared to be vodka and handed it to Bender (he no longer deserved to be called "Mister"), and then headed off towards the big boat from Majuro - leaving me with the odious Bender.

We continued our lovely conversation, but I constantly tried to direct it to topics that were to my liking and comfort level. However, at least once more he talked about me wearing a bikini, I think. I just ignored him and talked about whatever I wanted to talk about.

Can you imagine the pure relief I felt when I saw TC and Paul start to head back towards Cherokee? I said loudly, "Look, here comes my husband and our friend."

------
See Part 3 for the end of the story (SSB Radio limits length of messages)
----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment