Sunday, September 19, 2010

Lazy Sunday at Jabor Jaluit

After being  at sea for 36 hours, I was filled with joy to arrive at a port other than Majuro.  We finally did it! 

I already stated that a rainbow greeted us, but did I mention that it basically spanned the entire pass?  We sailed under it to get inside the lagoon. 

After we anchored the boat, we put the dinghy back in the water and went on shore to try and check in.  However, it was Sunday morning, and many people (including the town councilman) was in church.  So, we jambo jambo'd (walked around) saying "iakwe" (hello) and "good morning" to everyone we passed along the way. 

Of course, the first place that TC headed was oceanside to check out the swell.  It was low tide, but TC and Paul think they might have found a longboard wave.  They'll check it out this afternoon.

We talked about going to church, but we were all so tired from having been up for various parts of the night, we thought it might be rude to go and perhaps fall asleep.  Maybe next Sunday.  We did hear some singing, though, and the harmonies were beautiful as always.

I wish that I could describe everything and post many pictures to try and capture the details of our jambo jambo.  This is what I love about sailing.  That it'll take me places that I would probably never go otherwise. 

Here are some highlights:
·      Seeing a strange, triangular shaped water catchment.
·      Seeing very tall and nicely manicured coconut trees.
·      Seeing super old trees.  Few on Kwaj are like this since everything was blown to bits during WWII. 
·      Seeing pigs, chickens, and bright-eyed cats and dogs.  There was the cutest little big wallowing in the mud. 
·      Seeing jakaru being made, even if I don't want to drink it. 
·      Meeting new people, such as T-Jar (don't think that's how he spells it, but that's what it sounds like) who runs PJ's Café, a little shack with a few nicely covered picnic tables, that sells coffee all day everyday.  50 cents for a large, 25 cents for a regular size.
·      We also met some bright-eyed kids who I asked jump with me for a picture for Alex.  They didn't quite get it at first, but they had fun and we got a decent shot.

T-Jar informed us that there is wi-fi.  I will have to go on shore later and try it out.  It'd be nice to be able to upload some photos to go with these highlights.  

Later in the afternoon
We took naps for at least two solid hours.  Then TC and Paul set out to try and catch some waves, while I lingered on the boat.  It was so neat watching multiple traditional sailing canoes go back and forth across the lagoon.  

We ended the night with a pasta dinner and a movie, The Children of Huang Shi, which I had never heard of before. I really enjoyed it.  It's about an Englishman who is in China during the Japanese occupation.  It has Michelle Yeoh, Chow Yun Fat, Radha Mitchell, and Jonathan Rhys-Meyers.  TC and Paul liked it too.  My friend Deanna would like it too because it is based on a true story.  

No comments:

Post a Comment