Friday, October 22, 2010

Bye Bye Buoj Again

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Since the waves died, we decided to give John and Quincy and change in scenery.  Before we left, we wanted to go into Buoj to sell fuel to Lee & Flomina, and to say goodbye.  They had bought/brought a new truck to Buoj 5 months ago, then fuel stopped coming on the supply ships. 

When we got to their house, we found Lee working on his outrigger canoe.  He was giving it new coats of paint.  Of course, we got some pictures. 

Flomina gave me a woven bag as a goodbye gift.  I love the size of it and I love the fact that she made it herself – now I can remember her every time I use it.  She was still not feeling 100%, but she loved Quincy.  Lee did too.  They were both delighted every time Quincy tried his Marshallese skills. 

TC told me he was going for a walk.  He went to find Bender.  He did find him and told him that he offended me, and that he cannot talk to women like that. Bender said that he was sorry, he did it because he was very drunk.  So then TC told him if he would like the chance to apologize to me.  He came down in his truck and apologized to me.  TC told him that we had friends who when they drank too much they did bad things, so they stopped drinking.

We set sail for Mezetchoku Pass, but didn't stay because it was too windy and too bumpy.  We'll probably go back another time.  We then motored down to Berangu Pass.  In front of Katchii island, there were some small waves breaking, so Quincy, John, and TC had fun in the waves on the kayak and SUP.  Quincy caught a couple waves with his Dad on the SUP before transferring to the kayak with TC.  Quincy learned how to protect himself during kayak crashes (covering his head), as well as how to duck dive in the waves while waiting for TC to upright the kayak.  I attempted to take pictures.  Probably 40% are in focus, but I was pretty far away on a bobbing boat.

While watching the guys play, I also took pictures of some of the island kids who were on a palm tree log seesaw.  It's a pretty neat picture since they are only on one side of the tree, there is a rock in the middle, and I think the other half of the tree is rooted

I wanted to go kayak and play in waves, but forgot my booties and it was shallow.  I wiped out once and had to be very careful not to cut my feet up.  Thankfully TC paddled over to help me out.  After that I decided I better stay out of the waves for now. 

TC and I went to shore for just a short while to say hi.  I was feeling bad that we hadn't gone in yet.  We weren't trying to ignore them, but wanted to take advantage of high tide. 

While we went to shore, Paul went out fishing.  He caught a pretty big dogtooth.  He offered to give half to the Marshallese guy who was out fishing in his outrigger sailing canoe (he hadn't caught anything). 

That night TC and I tried to redeem ourselves for the previous night's awful dinner, we made spinach and garlic, artichoke hearts, and sun-dried tomato pizza on whole wheat crust. 

Then we played Scrabble after a yummy dinner of pizza.  John totally creamed us all.  Of course, it didn't help me that my teammate (Quincy) was our team's tile-picker and he used his eyes to pick us out all big point letters – like Q, V, P, Z, B, M, etc. (ie: no vowels) - he was trying to help us get big points.  Eventually we caught on and told him that he had to choose randomly (with his eyes closed).  

We also used mosquito nets for first time as we discovered that even though we were pretty far from shore, the mosquitoes found us.

No comments:

Post a Comment