Saturday, October 23, 2010

Cruising Back to Kwaj

We set out from Anil Pass with the intention of going to Bock Pass, just to anchor at the pass for the day, take some pictures, maybe play in the waves.  However, it started to pour and showed no signs of stopping, so we decided to bypass Bock and head straight back to Kwajalein.

For most of the passage, Quincy and I worked together on his homework.  He wanted to stop, but then he looked shocked and dismayed as I reminded him that we'd be returning to Kwajalein.  He said, "I've got to get all this homework done.  I should have been working on this the whole time!"  However, he was a trooper and he got it all done.

The other most exciting part of the trip was when we arrived back and headed in through SAR Pass.  Thankfully Cherokee has only about a 4 feet draft, but I was still a little nervous as I called out the depth (reading the depth gauge) as we swept through the pass.  "15 feet, 14 feet, 13 feet, 12 feet, 11 feet, 10 feet! 9 feet!  9 feet!  8 feet!  8 feet!  8 feet!  7.5 feet!  7.5 feet! 7.5 feet!  7.5 feet!"  I think Quincy could hear the tension in my voice, as he responded by gripping the lines that were hanging by him.  TC remained cool as a cucumber at the helm.

We got back into Kwaj around 11 PM, but by the time we finished our in processing, it was about 12:30 AM when we got home.  We had to wait for the K9 unit to come, so that Carla the new dog could check it out (since we'd been outer atoll).  Plus, we walked home.

Two things I was extremely excited about a 15 minute long HOT, HOT shower followed by sleeping in an air-conditioned environment.  TC woke up this morning and said, "Hey, your face isn't shiny," referring to the fact that most mornings on the boat, I awake with quite the sheen on my forehead.  Isn't he romantic?

No comments:

Post a Comment