Thursday, October 14, 2010

SSB Post 20 - Soccer at SDA

Thursday, October 7, 2010

It was yet another rainy day, which makes me happy since it means that I can do laundry, shave, and wash my hair without feeling any guilt.

By mid-afternoon, it was still cloudy and sprinkling, but we decided to go in. We'd told the kids we'd be there, so I'd hate to disappoint them. We paddled to shore, TC & I chose to go barefoot since we knew the path was pretty muddy. Plus usually there are at least a few kids without shoes.

When we got to shore, there were already kids waiting for us (from the public school). We started our trek down to the SDA school, about a mile away. Some of the kids were pretty young/small, some didn't have shoes, but that didn't stop them. Paul & a couple of the kids jogged down, while TC & I brought up the rear with some of the smaller and/or barefoot kids.

TC and Paul played more of a real game with the older kids, while I took the younger kids for our own game. My kiddos didn't understand as much English, so we couldn't get many of the rules out besides "jab be" (no hands) and they knew enough to get the ball in the opposing goal (or two coconuts). To make it easier to know who was on which team, & to their enthusiastic agreement, I split the teams into boys versus girls. My group also lost interest after about 30 minutes, but that was okay. Our short game was full of shrieking and much laughter, especially when a flip-flop would go flying (this happened often during a kick). After our "game," we alternated between hitting a volleyball around and trapping and passing drills with the soccer ball.

Meanwhile, TC and Paul continued their more organized game. The kids had a lot of fun and Veronica, the young Marshallese teacher, even played.

Basically the entire time, it drizzled, but that was okay. Everyone had fun. I had planned to get a big group jumping picture at the SDA school, but the inclement weather made me decided to leave the big camera on the boat. Another time.

As we were leaving, Selvin told us that they really appreciated the mosquito net because now he can sleep with his wife and son (the net we gave them was larger than the twin size one they had previously, as well as without big holes). And he didn't need to light a mosquito coil to not get eaten while he was sleeping, which would help them all breathe easier. That made me/us happy.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment