Friday, November 19, 2010

SSB Post 33 - More Aquatic Fun

Saturday, 11/20/2010

Yesterday, there were more waves at Mezetchoku, but they were not as consistent as the previous day. I took more than 100 pictures (not quite close to the 531 pictures from the previous day). I'm having fun playing with the camera, as well as the new Macbook (and its movie making software). Each day, I choose the "pic of the day."

We returned to Berangu Pass at around 3 PM, and the waves were breaking right out in front of the boat. So Geoff, Ellie, and I got out our longer surfboards (Geoff on a 9'3", me on a 7'11", and Ellie on a ) and attempted to catch waves. Geoff and I triumphantly stood up, but it was mainly the white water. It's a start, though, right? At least I am actually attempting to stand.

It's a great place to try and learn since the water was fairly deep (up to my chest) all the way in close to shore, so I wasn't as worried about slicing myself up on the coral. Unfortunately, it'll probably be our only time to try surfing there. Later that night we were told that it is not appropriate for us to be playing there since the reef surrounds a little island that used to be a burial ground for the chiefs of the Marshall Islands.

Actually, we asked the Marshallese on Katchii if it was okay and they said yes, but the person who lives on the island (an American ex-pat) is a self-described "curmudgeon" who doesn't really like to interact with people. The iroij gave him the island for as long as he is alive, and he is the caretaker for the island and the reef surrounding it. I think we were a little too close for comfort. Oh well, we're not here to cause trouble. It was a nice place to play while we could.

TC and Timo were also out there - TC on the SUP and Timo on the kayak. TC caught a few waves on the SUP, but often fell (hopefully he doesn't mind me sharing that).

Last night and today have been rainy, which is nice. I love rainy days. It means we get all filled up with water. I do so love that precious resource.

No comments:

Post a Comment