Thursday, November 25, 2010

SSB Post 37 - Goodbye to Buoj

Thursday, 11/25/2010

A correction on my earlier post: the subject was entitled "A Fun Day on Jeh," when it should have been "A Fun Day on Buoj." Also, I should have mentioned that the boxes we gave away were from Bess' Uncle Fred and Aunt Prudy. I can't wait to send them letters from the recipients of their boxes - thanking them for the books.

The reason I made the mistake was that we sailed to Jeh today.

We started the morning fairly early (0800), so that we could go in and Omela could give Ellie a basket-weaving lesson. Plus, we wanted to say goodbye to everyone before we left.

As we walked in, I gave a little shirt to the little boy who lives at the house where we always pull up our dinghy. His mom was pretty happy (he's probably only a little over a year, so he doesn't know what's going on).

We also had brought a bunch of gloves to go along with the betadine, tons of gauze, triple antibiotic ointment, and medical tape. One of the students at Clare's school had a scrape that looked pretty infected. Actually, at this point, it looks like it requires a doctors help. It's grown quite large in size (more than 5x the original), it's been over a month, it's covered in pus, and it smells - plus flies buzz all over it. NOT good. Clare and Omela (the principal) were going to go talk with the parents to see if they might take the girl to the doctor.

While Clare had her basket-weaving class, I took over Omela's 1st grade class since she was otherwise occupied. She had left them with a task - copy down the alphabet, but after about 10 minutes, they all had finished it. One kid started crying, so I went over (it was in the room next to where we were at) to see what was going on.

I found their 'vocab' words on the board, so then we started going over their vocab words. It was kind of fun being in the classroom again. Although, I am pretty sure that I still do not want to teach first grade on a regular basis.

Paul, TC, and Geoff played soccer with the kids at recess.

After spending the morning on Buoj, we said our goodbyes. I gave Flomina some shirts for her three grandsons. We thanked them again for the gifts of bananas (two stalks) and 25 limes.

We sailed north and east for Jeh. On the way, it started to rain and it looked as if it was going to last for a while. I seized the opportunity for a Cherokee spa day. I washed my hair (twice - since we had more than enough water and I hadn't had washed my hair in three days - yuck), scrubbed my face, shaved, and then rinsed my hair again. It was WONDERFUL.

On our way up, I made pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. We had some butternut squash, which Geoff is preparing. Instant mashed potatoes (prepared by TC and me) since we have only 1 real potato left. A soup prepared by Ellie and Timo. And bread prepared by Paul. We'll also have beer and red wine with dinner, and then champagne with dessert. We're going all out!

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment